Sunday, May 25, 2008

20 Vegetables, 10 Herbs, 7 Fruits

May is one of my favorite times of the year in Utah. In particular for our yard. The temperature is in the 70s. Flowers are in bloom. The grass has greened. The garden is planted and beginning to sprout. Blackbirds, sparrows, and robins are everywhere. There is a freshness that has me wanting to be outside, feeling a peace.




This morning I was up early, treating myself to some reading time on the bench in the box gardens. I finished my book that I'd started two days ago on the plane home from New York. I was also just feeling the peacefulness of the space. I looked up. Kari was sitting quietly on the back patio. I joined her, continuing in what felt like shared appreciation for this morning and this space.

"What do you see when you look at this yard?" I asked after a few moments of beautiful stillness.

"An oasis." Kari responded. "A place that is alive, filled with life, and yet mostly hidden from the front yard. You wouldn't know that it was here without invitation to come explore. There are 20 vegetables, 10 herbs, and seven fruits."

I feel much appreciation for the stillness that this yard now offers.

Vegetables (and a few planted fruits)
carrots, beans, tomatoes, cucumbers, egg plant, tomatillo, cabbage, peppers, onions, butternut squash, zucchini, pumpkins, watermellon, cantelope, honeydew, spinach, collard greens, peas, chard, potatoes

Herbs
chives, basil, oregano, sage, parsley, terragon, lemon balm, marjoram, thyme

Fruit
appricot, peach, nectarine, asian pear, raspberries, grapes, strawberries, and an apple tree that doesn't yield fruit anymore but gave us several good years.

A few photos

No comments: