Zoe
So there I am, all packed and excited out of my mind, at about 2:25 pm. 2:30: Dad’s still not here. 2:40: I’m getting really nervous and leave him a message. 2:47: He finally comes. Our drive up to the airport was fairly silent apart from the Wicked music meant to pump us up. We rode the shuttle next to this old man who was always smiling and two girls with perfectly plucked eyebrows, fake tans, True Religion jeans and bright pink lipstick. We checked our bags and went through security and were at the gate at about 4:00 and of course our flight was delayed. What to do with an hour and a half? We strolled over to Wall Street Deli/TCBY to get an “incredibly sodium filled” (as my Dad says) meal: a sandwich, chicken noodle soup that I could have made from a can, a mini bag of Lays and a wonderful Tango de Mango smoothie. Then we meandered back to our gate and sat at the recharging station where we danced to the music that Boingo so helpfully provided us while we were on hold. It was really boring so I got out my iPod and texted my buddy Beanz. We went to the bathroom (very important) and boarded the plane. We read The Wednesday Wars, Mrs. Baker’s torturing of Holling Hoodhood, while the plane simply drove around for about twenty minutes all because the wind direction changed. Finally we took off and I was already bored to tears. I fell asleep but was awakened when my dad accidentally smacked me in the face. We read the Wednesday Wars, played cards, tried to watch the movie that was playing which I thought was the stupidest thing I’d seen all day. Then we indulged in a little poetry. So now we have about two more hours to fly…wish me luck.
Dad
I liked memorizing our poems and passing them off with each other. OK, and then bugging Zoe by continually referencing my poem. Zoe’s was La Pieta by Jerry Denton. Mine was The Doorframe by Adrienne Rich. Zoe is still one of the best memorizers I’ve ever met.
We cabbed from the airport to Jersey City, 105 Greene Street, home to our friends Nancy and John. Welcomed to their beautiful apartment, a bed waiting for us – even though we weren’t ready to sleep quite yet. We wanted to get a sense of where a few things were, including Julliard, which we’ll get to tour soon!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment